Today is Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |
HOME | TEAM INFO | COVERAGE | INTERACTIVE | HISTORY | FEATURES

Allan Houston blog

Proudly hosted by KnicksOnline.com

ALLAN ON PRES OBAMA, GALLINARI, UPCOMING WEEKS

ALLAN ON PRES OBAMA, GALLINARI, UPCOMING WEEKS

First of all thank you for your thoughts and prayers for Eddy (Curry). Although we don’t know a lot yet about the recent events with his family, but please be in prayer for him and his family. He obviously has had a lot he’s been dealing with so far this year. What we can do right now is support him and pray for comfort.

Last week was an amazing week huh! President Obama sworn in, and a 3 game winning streak-even though it was snapped Saturday. When I see pictures, sound bytes, and images of President Obama (which in itself sounds incredible), I still am overwhelmed. I am excited for what the Obama family will be for the image of the African-American male, and family. When I grew up, to have both parents, who cared about me being educated was sometimes looked down on. As I look back, this is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard of. This hopefully will change.

For everybody, not just blacks. You can tell the Obama is serious about their strong family unit. This is huge for the development of our next generation. We need strong families.

I know fans are happy to see Gallinari back. I bet you didn’t realize he could shoot the way he does either. I saw it first hand in practice before he began playing in games. As he was getting closer to playing, we would have shooting games against each other.

Don’t you even think about asking either! It did take me longer to beat him than anyone else though:) We played one on one full court one time. Now, I stay in decent shape, but full court one on one is a beast! It felt like I swallowed a match that was lit. He didn’t miss too many then either. I’m glad to see the fans receive him now. That’s a big step to come in as a rookie and have people pull for you.

Even though the streak ended, the guys are feeling a little better about their rhythm. Nate’s shooting better helps. Sometimes when you’re in a new system and you’re young, you tend to over-think.

The great thing about Mike’s (D’Antoni) system is that there should not be a lot of over-thinking. Either shoot if you’re open, or make a play for someone else. The more the ball moves, instead of going one on one, the better rhythm everyone can be in. This is what has become more consistent.

The next 2 weeks will be a great test. There are 9 games left until All-Star break, including tonight vs. Houston. The way we go into the break could tell a lot about playoff hopes.

Let me hear from you. Any questions or comments, email me:
20vision(at)allanhouston.com.

God Bless,

Allan
www.AllanHouston.com

Published by Allan Houston, on January 26th, 2009 at 9:26 pm. Tags: , , 8 Comments

8 Responses to “ALLAN ON PRES OBAMA, GALLINARI, UPCOMING WEEKS”

1. hi,Alan:- enjoyed your comments,but why no mention of David Lee? his game has been out-of -sight!…thank you.

[Reply]

Comment by lenny ruderman on January 28, 2009 at 9:21 am

2. I really am waiting to hear from you guys what you want to talk about.

Yeah he has really has been playing well. The thing about him that you probably can tell in his play is that he is very consistent in his work habits. He has the same routine every day and he sticks with it.. He spent all summer here in NY working on his jumper, and you can see it paying off

[Reply]

Comment by Allan Houston on January 29, 2009 at 9:18 am

3. Was there any specific moment during the 99 run that made all the players truely believe you were capable of making a run? Was it the game one beating you put on Miami or did you guys just finally become comfortable playing with each other after the trade and the struck shorten season?

Also since you’ve been around Gallinari do you think he has the lateral quickness to play the two guard or is he simply a forward?

[Reply]

Comment by Bob Davis on January 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

4. One more question while i thought of it. I noticed that the Rangers are retiring Adam Graves number 9 next week. Graves was a tremendous player but he wouldnt necessarily go down as one of the games all time greats. That being said, since your part of the orgination what do you think the chances of the Knicks retiring the jerseys of Benard King, John Starks, Charles Oakley, or yourself? Being 25 Benard King was before my time but when you think of the Knicks of the early 90’s you have to think of Starks and Oakley. And when you think of the magical 99 season you have to think of the greatness you displayed.

[Reply]

Comment by Bob Davis on January 29, 2009 at 10:42 am

5. Allan,

Quite a few people are making comparisons of this current team to your 99 squad – A team that for many of younger generation Knick fans regard as their favorite.

How do you feel about that? Personaly I don’t think this team is on par with the 99 squad. I think you guys in 99 had more experience and were highly fueled by rivalries with Miami and Indiana.

[Reply]

Comment by Rich Bertin on January 29, 2009 at 10:59 am

6. Excellent piece Allan.

Just wanted to say we appreciate you blogging here with the fans.

I think Knicks fans are really starting to liken towards the team’s play as of recent. Finally, right? I can’t even remember the last time Knicks fans were actually proud to be part of the atmosphere (other than shouting obscenities at the coaches and players.)

One player I have been really impressed with and has not gotten much coverage or attention is our floor leader in Chris Duhon. He has been super-b all season long.

In fact, I am going to vouch for Duhon past 2010! He has proven that he is a true PG who knows how to spread the floor and get everyone involved. I’m not just saying that because we’re winning but rather he has been consistent with his numbers and overall effective play all season so far.

Chris Duhon got his opportunity to prove he is a starter in this league and boy is he proving his skill.

I’m lobbying for Duhon, he is our leader. He should be captain on this squad.

Not to mention all the charity work he has been doing in CHI and NY this season. Even skipping on an Inaugural Speech Invite from Barack to be with the team during practice!

It’s been such a long time since we had a great role model figure represent the Knicks in such a classy, professional and unselfish manner.

Chris Duhon is true class and what the Knicks have always been about.

What are your thoughts on Duhon, Allan? Is he in the preliminary plans for the post 2010 decade?

[Reply]

Comment by Scribbles on January 29, 2009 at 11:26 am

7. Sup Allan,

Interesting view on Obama, he and his family are portraying a good image for African Americans alike, I agree with this. As much as I like having a minority being president, in actuality it’s still more of the same and only getting worse when it comes down to policies, running our government and the United States.

I’m not sure how deep you are into politics but I would like to know what you thought of the critical “700 billion dollar bailout bill” that was passed in October 2008?

which turned out to grow more then 8.5 trillion dollars (reported by bloomberg which is a 24 hour financial data source) and steadily rises bringing on hyperinflation and monopolization of the banks.

8.5+ Trillion:
    h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nhkqbJKFAA

Not to mention that Obama helped get the bill passed. While this bailout bill was being rejected by many Americans across the U.S..

The Knicks have been playing better, and have been more fun to watch then in recent years. I have higher then normal hopes for the teams future. D. Gallinari is looking like a great fit for the Knicks future, is his back condition even a factor right now?

It looks as if Mike D. is limiting Gallinari’s minutes so that he may avoid re-injuring himself.

-Adam aka Akamu

[Reply]

Comment by Adam Ortiz on January 29, 2009 at 2:25 pm

8. Sup Allan.

We know what you’re capable of on the court, but we also know you didn’t make the cut on the roster (even though your a billion times better than Anthony Robertson).

Have you ever HAD an interest in playing in Europe? I could see you being a huge star over there with the arsenal you bring the court.

Anyway, just a THOUGHT…I know you love the NBA and your family, so I’m not surprised you’re not perusing another career in another league. (just to add to your legacy of one of the NBA greatest shooters of all time, and one of the greatest Knicks in our era).

Do you keep up with College ball? Which players do you see as “special”? Your college Tennesse has a lottery pick talent in Tyler Smith…do you keep up with that?

Anyway, I send my wishes and blessings t you and your family.

-Jose aka metrocard.